Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Tongue and Wheels... No Cheeks

The new tires and trailer wiring items arrived today, which in turn dictated what I did to the camper this evening after work...

I began cleaning, grinding, and sanding the tongue of the camper in preparation of repainting and installing the new wiring. I removed the propane tank mounts, propane regulator and hose, and the safety chains. We do not plan to put the dual propane tanks back as they originally were, and will likely downsize to only a single tank on the camper for a heater or grill in the future. We plan to mount a metal box on the tongue for storage of jacks and other "dirty" items. We will be painting the tongue and frame white again.

The starting point.

Crusty rust hiding under the propane tank holder's base plate.

The tongue all grinder, sanded, and ready for painting. All rust was only surface and the frame is in really good shape. Must be the bajillion layers of paint! :-)



After the tongue, I turned my focus to the campers wheels. They were in desperate need of the same attention as the frame. I was able to prep them and put down the first few coats of paint tonight as well. I went with the Rustoleum High Performance spray paint in the Stainless Steel color. The brake drums will be gloss black and we think they'll accent each other well.

Before.

After much work with the wire wheel and side grinder.

Two coats down, probably two-four more to go. Obviously these are the old tires and I wasn't concerned about overspray with the paint. :-)



I'm hoping to get the tires mounted in a day or two--as soon as the wheels are ready.

All for now,
Sam






2 comments:

  1. Hey Sam, Do you know how much our Frolic Camper weighs? My '71 says 2800 on the title but I don't really believe it. I need to get some new tires for it and want to try and firm up how much it weighs before making a tire decision. Any help/info/advice you have to offer would be great. Also, I loved reading through all your updates and posts, looks really great!

    Thanks,
    Greig
    71frolicfun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete