Sunday, June 8, 2014

Experimentation and Mockery with Controlling the Climate

Me oh my, such a serious and ominous title! :-)

Only one day was free for the ole Frolic this weekend and it was spent performing an experiment and doing some mock-up work (hence the title). 

I worked on the fridge and A/C area, trying to come up with the best way of putting a window A/C in our camper without 1. Putting it in a window and 2. Cutting any holes in our camper. Here is what I came up with.

This is where I plan to put the fridge and A/C. The fridge will be on the bottom and the A/C will sit on the shelf/table above. Originally, the fridge was up higher and an old propane furnace was below it (the square hole in the camper was where the exhaust went outside). We decided the fridge would work better lower down for a better center of gravity and ease of access for small children. 

The back of the shelf is cut out to allow for the hot air from the A/C to vent out the already-in-place vent. Remember, no cutting holes in the camper. :-)

After some thought, this is the duct I came up with and made for the A/C. It's sort of "S" shaped, taking the hot air in the top and pointing it outside below.

Here is the exterior view of the duct, very crudely "sealed" with aluminum tape. The hot air is blown down and out from the top.

It was as this time, I let the A/C run for a while to test how well it cooled the camper. The camper was in full sun and it was well into the 80s. After a while, I went in to check the camper, it was not very cool inside.

I wondered if this was due to poor air direction (the old A/C we had pushes cold air out of the top), so I devised a truly redneck way of routing the air a little lower.

As amazing as it looked, and as thrilled as my wife was, it still didn't cool the camper as I expected. I stopped working on it for the day. I have a few ideas to try out next time... Stay tuned for more A/C updates.

In addition to the A/C, I also worked some more on the interior paneling. Below are a few photos. 

See you next time.









No comments:

Post a Comment