Friday, May 9, 2014

Raising the Roof! Part 2

The rain was due to start at 1pm today and continue for the next two days so I had to get the roof done... No choice! I continued where I left off last night; working my way from the back of the camper to the front, overlapping the seams at least 3" and attaching termination bars at each seam. Once I knew the roof would withstand my moving about on top of it, I made relatively quick work of the job and finished the "rough covering" in just under 4 hours. I'm extremely pleased with the sheet aluminum and how it turned out, especially with it being my first and doing all but the front overhang/curved seam by myself. The white looks great too, I'm glad I didn't go with the plain mill finish.

Using a water jug and block of pine shavings as weights to help coax the sheeting into lying flat so I could attach the next piece.

Quick photo as I progressed over the camper. Notice the longer sheet... Read below for info on that one.

The final sheet! I attached it to the front of the camper first, then to the top. This way my front seam was level and correctly placed.

View of the front overhang and on towards the back of the camper.

View of the back overhang and on towards the front of the camper. 

Just beginning to work the roof over the sides. Much more work to do with this, both in trim and refinement of the overhang.

View of the front from ground level. I purposely bought one ten foot long sheet (visible here in front) so that after trimming the excess I would have some aluminum left over to cover the old water heater hatch and other areas.

It was at this point, the winds were picking up and the sky was quite cloudy. I didn't dare do anything further on the roof today. I still had clean up work to do as well as take a trailer load to the landfill station again. The rains came about 3 hours later and are still going. I'm eager to check the interior out tomorrow to look for leaks. Here's hoping it's bone dry!

All for now,
Sam





No comments:

Post a Comment