Thursday, May 8, 2014

Raising the Roof! Part 1

With the wall framing, windows, and siding finished it was finally time to move on to the roofing. I've spent a good deal of time researching roof options, materials and methods and decided to go with an aluminum roof. I looked into a seamless aluminum roof, but the price was beyond what I was willing to pay ($400+ just for the sheet--no hardware or adhesives included). I then came across a great site for people who build their own small teardrop camping trailers. Many of them use aluminum sheeting (an option I previously questioned due to water intrusion) without issues. I read up on their techniques and decided it would work for me. A trip to the local aluminum supplier and I had what I needed for over a hundred dollars less than the seamless sheets cost. Okay, enough talk, let's get to the pictures.

I wanted to strengthen the area that the new roof will terminate/attach to the front and back of the camper. This photo is from yesterday evening. It shows the new board clamped up after being glued.

I got a call that my roofing material was delivered today so I stopped by and picked the materials up.

Once home, I began the prep work on the roof by removing the lights and cleaning up any loose debris. The new roof will overlap the front and back panels a good bit, hiding all previous roof coating material.

Front marker lights to be removed.

Pry them off, cut the wires, scrape the area, and repeat.

Camper front wall: prepped and ready for new roof. The new roofing will come down to just above the decal.

Same procedure on the back.


New roof panel lying on the roof. It was rolled up for the trip home, but the sheet flattens out easily.

Calling it a night, but a productive one considering this happened after I got off work today.

More to come tomorrow...
-Sam


No comments:

Post a Comment