Wednesday, April 23, 2014

After-Work Progress

Today was a wonderful Spring day, sunny and warm, so I made "camper hay" while the sun shined.  I was able to reattach the wheel cover / fender to the camper and make/install the lower wall boards for the side of the camper.

Freshly sealed and screwed wheel well / fender and the new wood pieces. I was able to use the original boards to quickly copy dimensions to build this one. The fender is not attached to the new wood yet as I don't know if I'm ready for it yet. Lots more to do. The holes in the top board are countersink holes for the 3" screws that join all the pieces together.

Close up photo of the new wood pieces.  The small 2x2 at the door frame is going to be replaced with a new 2x4. You can also see that nice new wood floor too! :-)

Here is the front corner section with new wood in place. The front corner saggs a lot under the weight of the roof and camper (you can see this by the siding not matching up at the corner), even with new solid wood in place. I think it's an inferior design and will put in a vertical 2x4 to support the wall correctly from the floor to roof. Afterwards, the siding will be correctly aligned. I'm waiting to do this until we replace the main top beam on this wall. The poorly installed awning and water leaks have done well to rot it away. We will be replacing the current stacked 2x2s with a 2x6. 

You're not seeing things, that corner board is hanging off the floor. This is how it originally was (trust me, I've checked). There will be another board installed in front of the treated 2x4 to fill the gap and support the front bevel of the camper and the curved siding in this section. I couldn't move the floor boards forward any because they are already as far forward as the frame mounts go. Yet another odd design choice of this camper. This will likely be the next section I work on to complete the front.

Sam






No comments:

Post a Comment